Communication

Communication

Saturday 25 November 2017

Critical reflection


Personally, I feel that this module has helped me to improve my writing and presentation skills. Throughout this entire course, I am given opportunities to practice my writing through the given assignments such as the technical report and reader’s response. I am also given opportunities to practice my presentation skills through the mini discussions during class.

I have learnt that writing a couple of drafts are necessary and getting feedbacks and reviews from my classmates and lecturer are also essential to make improvement in my writing skills. The more I write, the better I will become. I am grateful that I can work together with my classmates as a group to complete a technical report.

Working as a group is not so easy. As everyone has a different writing style, how the ideas are being discussed is not effectively bring across to the readers. Many times, during proof-reading and editing of the report, there is minor conflict between me and my group members with regards to the style of writing. For example, if a crucial point is stated in the group report, the way the sentence is structured and paraphrased may give the reader a wrong understanding, which resulted in a conflict. Although such conflict may happen, my group is able to resolve quickly by self-analysis or by seeking other people or the lecturer for help. I would also like to thank my group mates for helping me to correct the grammatical errors and improve on my writing.

As stated in my first blog post that I hope to improve my writing, I feel that I have improved insignificantly in my writing. To improve more significantly, I would need to write and read more often.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Hong Yu, for this honest reflection. I can identify a couple themes here, including your sense that doing the assignments helped you to improve your writing and that the teamwork was valuable for your learning. I wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof Brad,
      Sorry for the late reply as I am busy preparing for the exam. Thank you for your reply and I have learnt so much from you and also the rest from the class. Thank you for teaching me this trimester and I hope to make full use of the techniques taught in class in my other upcoming modules.

      Regards,
      Hong Yu

      Delete